Whether you love or hate mussels, it’s hard to resist spicy sausage in a finger licking white wine and garlic butter sauce! Mussels are a seafood that I actually grew to enjoy. The chewy texture wasn’t initially appealing to me, until I realized I’d only been presented with overcooked versions of this tasty underwater treat . When cooked properly, these little morsels of seafood goodness are perfect as an appetizer or can be deliciously tossed with your favorite seafood pasta. I added turkey sausage to this dish to make it more filling, and the flavors of fennel and spice gave it the extra kick I craved. The broth of a mussel dish can be the best part, so don’t forget a loaf of crusty bread to soak it all up when serving.
- When mussels are purchased they are typically very dirty, so be sure to clean and scrub under cold water. They may have a piece of seaweed type string, called a ‘beard’. Remove this with your fingers or cut with a small knife before cooking.
- Discard any mussels that are cracked or broken before cooking.
- If a mussel does not open after it has been cooking, don’t try to pry it open – just discard it.
- 2 lbs Live Mussels - cleaned and debearded
- 1 cup White Wine
- 2 Shallots - finely chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic - chopped
- 3 Tbsp Butter - cut into pieces
- 1/2 lbs Turkey Sausage - removed from casing
- 1 Tbsp Olive oil
- 1/4 large Fennel Bulb - thinly sliced
- 1 tsp Crushed red peppers
- 2 Tbsp Fresh Parsley - chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- Rinse and scrub mussels under cold water. Remove the beards using your fingers or a pairing knife. (seen in the photo)
- In a large stock pot, add olive oil, sausage meat, fennel, and crushed red peppers. Saute over medium heat until sausage is cooked through and remove from the pan.
- Then combine the wine, shallots, garlic and salt. Simmer for 5 minutes and then add the mussels to the pan, increase the heat and cover. Cook until all the mussels are open (about 4 to 5 mins).
- Next stir in butter, herbs and cooked sausage mixture and remove from the heat. Serve immediately with crusty bread.